"THE TRAGEDY OF KADESH BARNEA"
Intro: The history of Israel is a typical history. Children of Israel under heavy bondage in Egypt. Led out through Red Sea, Marah - Elim, Sinai. Now to border of promised land, Kadesh Barnea.
I. THE LAND OF PROMISE BEFORE THEM.
A. Liberty instead of oppression.
1. You who have been enslaved by sin.
a. Some habit.
b. Some desire.
c. Some personality characteristic.
B. Rest instead of wandering.
1. Settle in their own homes, farms.
2. Away with the unstable wanderings.
3. "There remaineth therefore a rest to the people."
C. Possession for Promise.
1. They had the promises of Jehovah.
2. Now going to possess that which was promised.
D. Variety for monotony.
1. Some complain of the monotony of Christian life.
II. THE CRISIS BEFORE THEM.
A. Crisis created by the report of the timid ten.
1. Giants in the land.
2. Cities are walled and very great.
3. A land that eateth up the inhabitants.
B. As we look at this vast territory of self that God seeks to conquer in us.
1. Giants, etc.
C. Crisis resulted from looking at enemy rather than at God.
1. Sure there are giants - bread for us.
2. Cities are walled and great, but they are bread for us, their defense has departed.
3. Sin might be deeply entrenched in your character - God is greater.
D. By their doubt and fear they impeached God.
1. His Word, as though He would lie.
2. His Power.
3. His Goodness, as though He would allow them to be destroyed.
III. THE TRAGEDY OF KADESH BARNEA.
A. They did not press forward into the land.
1. The promises went unfulfilled.
B. The continued on their carnal plain.
1. Restlessness - no settled abiding place. No restful Christians in wilderness.
2. Discontent murmuring against God. No contented Christians in wilderness.
3. Fruitfulness - they fought and won battles but gained no territory. No fruitful Christians in the wilderness.
4. Vacillating - up and down, drawn by desires toward Egypt. When no one was looking make excursion into Egypt. No stable Christian in wilderness.
Is this what you are experiencing? Do you desire something better?
You are standing at Kadesh Barnea.