"THE FAITHFULNESS OF GOD"
Intro: Joshua is now old and stricken in years, the tribes have been settled in their lands according to God's promises. Joshua has called a final assemblage.
I. YOU KNOW IN YOUR HEART AND SOUL.
A. There seems to be an area of knowledge deeper than the conscience. "You know in your heart."
1. An intuitive type of knowledge.
2. You sense it or feel it.
3. The heart is used as the seat of the spirit as the brain is the seat of the soul.
B. Deep down inside you know what is right.
1. You know you should give your life to God.
2. You know that the world is a trap.
a. Following your flesh will never bring lasting satisfaction.
II. NOT ONE THING HAS FAILED OF ALL GOD SPOKE.
A. God's Word is true and is attested all around.
1. Here they are in the land.
2. Their enemies were subdued by God.
3. The land is flowing with milk & honey.
4. All God said, He did.
B. Look around you today. All God said, He has done or is doing.
1. He said man's knowledge will "be increased and they would travel freely around the world."
2. He said He would make the people of Israel a nation once again.
3. He said that they would destroy their enemies, though the odds were against them.
Isa 19, He said the Egyptians would dam the Nile river and the consequence would be disastrous to the fishing industry.
5. He said there would be increased earthquakes & pestilences.
6. He said there would be world wars.
C. God is thoroughly faithful to His Word.
1. He is not a man that He should lie. Hath He not spoken and shall He not make it good.
2. Jesus said: "Heaven & earth shall pass away, but my Word shall never pass."
III. "THEREFORE IT SHALL COME TO PASS."
A. You can be sure, if God said it, He will do it.
B. Joshua is using God's faithfulness to His Word as a warning.
1. God not only spoke of their good.
2. He spoke of the evil that would come if they would forsake His ways.
3. You can be sure God will keep His Word.
a. They might have said:
1. "I do not believe that a God of love would bring judgment on His people," But He did!
2. "God would never take this land away from us," But He did!
3. "How could a God of love get angry?" He does!
4. "I do not believe in a loving God that would send men to Hell." Well, He will.
b. Believe it or not, He did it. He was faithful to His promise.
4. What God has promised He will perform.
a. He promised: That can be extremely comforting.
1. "Never to leave us."
2. "If we would call He would answer."
3. If we would come to Him He would save.
b. That could be extremely terrifying.
1. If we denied Him. He would deny us.
2. To cast the wicked and unbelieving into hell.
It's only folly to take chances with God's sure Word. Accept the promises for good, fulfill your side & God will be faithful & fulfill His.