"THE STRENGTH OF A NAME"
Our lives are daily filled with pressures, stresses and strains. The day when we are forced to say "I can't" is a day of disaster or victory.
I. THE FORCES AGAINST US.
A. The forces of Satan "For we wrestle not..."
1. Satan going about as a roaring lion.
2. "Have you considered my servant Job."
B. The forces of this age - problems.
1. Men seem to live quite successfully without God.
2. The long continued victory of evil.
3. Universal pain.
C. The forces of the self life.
1. Why the enemy I fear most?
2. When one area subdued another revealed.
D. The forces of sorrow - bereavement.
1. Disappointment "Ye my own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, which did eat my bread." These are forces which individually can defeat you and united can destroy you.
II. THE PLACE OF SAFETY "THE NAME JEHOVAH."
A. This name "Jehovah."
1. In Scriptures written with four consonants. JHVH.
2. A Jew would not pronounce the name. He is one who is indescribable.
a. When a scribe would come to name in text.
b. When Jew in reading name in text.
3. Name never linked with qualifying adjectives.
a. The Adonahy never the Jehovah. My Elohim never my Jehovah. The living Elohim never the living Jehovah.
4. Jehovah literally means "The becoming one."
III. FIVE PICTURES OF THE STRONG TOWER.
A. Abraham on Mt. Moriah.
1. Faith tested to extremity.
2. Jehovah Jireh - Jehovah will provide.
a. Literally Jehovah will see; from seeing to providing not for vision provision.
b. Did not say, "I cannot see," said Jehovah sees."
B. Moses conflict with Amelek.
1. His small untrained forces against large trained army marching under banners of king.
2. Jehovah Nissi - The Lord our banner.
C. Gideon a farmer called to service.
1. Gideon was fearful of this service.
a. Angel Jehovah Shalom - Jehovah is our peace.
b. Looked through battle to peace ultimate victory.
D. Jeremiah prophet of doom - no hope for Judah. Jeremiah imprisoned, falsely accused. Discouraged.
1. In Dungeon - Jehovah Tsidkenu.
E. Ezekiel by river Chebar all human hope gone.
1. Jehovah Shammah "The Lord is there."
IV. "AND IS SAFE."
1. If you say he was thrown into a den of lions you read the story superficially.
B. Death of father and brother.
V. THE NAME JESUS IS "JEHOVAH IS SALVATION.
A. The name Jesus is our strong tower.
1. Faith tested to extremity? Jesus sees.
2. Life in conflict - Jesus your banner.
3. Called to service and feel afraid. Jesus your peace.
4. Hope gone - Jesus is righteous. Jesus shall reign.
5. Deep discouraged? No way out? Jesus is there.