"LEARNING AN EASY LESSON THE HARD WAY"
Intro: Jonah is a little book that has created big problems for people with little faith. Many have had a hard time swallowing this little book. I suppose if it said a trident sub surfaced, took him on board, then submerged and returned him in three days to port, you would have no problem. Your biggest problem is your God is too small. Salvation Army lassie. Jesus attested to the truth of this story.
I. JONAH WAS CALLED TO NINEVEH THAT GREAT CITY.
A. Nineveh capitol of Assyria which was a hated arch enemy to Israel.
1. Being a true patriot, he did not want to go.
a. Secretly he feared they might listen to him, repent, and be spared.
b. He wanted them destroyed.
2. He headed towards Joppa to catch a ship to Tarshish, the dropping off place of the ancient world.
B. Here we find his lying vanity.
1. He sought to hide from God.
a. Whether can I flee from Thy presence?
b. Many today trying to hide from God.
2. He thought he could escape the call of God on his life.
C. He got passage on a boat to Tarshish and God sent a great storm. (Miracle 1...)
1. The seasoned sailors did their best to ride out the storm.
2. When they gave up hope, they decided to pray.
3. One of them found Jonah asleep. (Miracle 2.)
4. Jonah suggest they throw him overboard.
a. This they objected to. After all, he paid his fair, not polite.
5. Drew lots and it fell on Jonah.
6. Jonah still following lying vanity.
D. Stubbornness of Jonah revealed. (
1. Conditions in that whale far from comfortable.
a. Like hell, it must have been very hot (98.60), plus humidity.
b. Floods surrounded me.
c. Water sloshing over my head.
d. Sea weeds wrapped around me.
e. Whale was diving down to the depths.
2. Yet Jonah sat there sulking for three days which in those conditions seemed like forever, before he decided to throw in the towel.
3. Jonah shared the lesson so you could learn it.
a. They that observe lying vanities forsake their own mercies.
II. LYING VANITIES PEOPLE ARE OBSERVING TODAY.
A. I can get along without Jesus Christ.
B. I can hide from God.
C. I can escape the call of God.
D. Net result you forsake your own mercy.
1. God loves you.
2. He wants to bless you.