A. The last few teachings in Ephesians we have concentrated on Christian behavior.
1. Last week, we specifically dealt with the behavior of a Godly wife as it related to her husband.
2. And in tonight's study we will take a look at the husband's role and his Godly behavior towards her.
A. Ephe 5:25 (NKJV) Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her,
1. Let's just take a look at the first part Husbands, love your wives, to help us better understand the rest of Chapter 5.
a) 1Cor 13:1 (NKJV) Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. 2 And though I have [the] [gift] [of] prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed [the] [poor], and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing. 4 Love suffers long [and] is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; 5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; 6 does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 8 Love never fails. But whether [there] [are] prophecies, they will fail; whether [there] [are] tongues, they will cease; whether [there] [is] knowledge, it will vanish away.
b) We're going to take a look at this a little closer, but basically guys, what this is saying is that if you don't love your wives the way the Lord has prescribed (Biblically), you don't amount to much!!!
(1) That's what that word "nothing" means in verse 2.
(2) It doesn't matter if you have the gift of tongues and interpretation, the gift of prophecy, word of knowledge, and faith to move mountains, it still adds up to a big zero.
c) So, how do you know if you are loving your wife the way the Lord prescribes?
(1) Are you kind to her even when it hurts?
(2) Are you envious of her talent or gifts, or just plain smarts?
(3) Do you consider yourself smarter or better than her in any way?
(4) Are you rude to her?
(5) Can she count on the fact that you will do without in order to put her first?
(6) Does she have to walk on "eggshells" around you or is she comfortable being herself.
(7) Does it make you happy when she fails or is embarrassed by something or someone?
(8) Are you patient with her?
(9) Do you make every effort for her succeed in every area of her life?
(a) Now we can go on to the rest of Ephesians 5
2. Ephe 5:25 (NKJV) Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her,
a) The rest of the verse gives us the highest and best example of love and that is Jesus.
(1) Notice the depth of His commitment to His bride!
B. Ephe 5:25 (NKJV) . . . . Christ . . . . gave Himself for her, 26 that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, 27 that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish.
1. Please understand that the church was (and is not now) holy and without blemish!
a) Yet the Lord made a "path" by which He could view His bride is such a way.
b) Unlike most of us husbands who look for reasons to pick our wives apart, Jesus looked for a way to see His bride "without blemish!"
c) A Christian husband should love his wife so much that he is willing to give his own life for her!
(1) John 15:13 (NKJV) "Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.
C. Ephe 5:28 (NKJV) So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself. 29 For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord [does] the church.
1. Please notice that the Apostle Paul says that husbands are supposed to love their "own" wives!
a) For many husbands, (and wives), it s easier to look at someone else's spouse and think, "Boy I wish my husband or wife was like them."
b) The remedy for that is to love your spouse more that you love yourself!!
(1) Paul validates that self-love by reminding us that we go to great lengths to make sure that "we" are comfortable, loved and well cared for!
(2) Here's what Paul is getting at:in Christ, you are your wife and she is you. You are one where He is concerned!
D. Ephe 5:30-31 (NKJV) For we are members of His body, of His flesh and of His bones. 31 "For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh."
1. The reference here is out of Genesis 2:23 and it is used to validate Paul's statement that a husband and wife are one flesh just like the church is made one flesh through the cross!
a) When we accept Him as Savior, we become His beautiful bride, and consequently one flesh with Him!
(1) Something that was once "ugly" and "unacceptable" because of sin, is transformed by His righteousness, into something beautiful!!
E. Ephe 5:32 (NKJV) This is a great mystery, but I speak concerning Christ and the church. 33 Nevertheless let each one of you in particular so love his own wife as himself, and let the wife [see] that she respects [her] husband.
1. A "mystery" by Biblical definition, is something that has not yet been revealed.
a) 1Cor 13:9 (NKJV) For we know in part and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away. 11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.
b) I am convinced that we husbands understand these verses very little!
(1) This great "mystery" of Christ and the church and how it relates to us as husbands is a lifetime undertaking!
(2) But this much we do know, men it is time to put away childish things.
A. If we have been treating our wives with anything or in any way that is less than what the Lord wants, we need to repent, and find out how to do a better job being a Godly husband.
B. Next week we will see how proper Christian behavior affects how we raise our children, and what kind of employer, and employees we are!