Hell on Earth Part 2
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it. --Max Planck
A. Last week, in our study of the fifth trumpet judgment, we concluded that by nature we human beings have an incredible gift for not dealing with things!
1. And we saw that to be quite evident in our study last week.
a) Hordes of these "locust-like" demons from the pit of the abyss were allowed to torture men for 5 months and yet most of them blasphemed the Lord: instead of repenting!!
b) We found that In spite of all that has gone on, on the earth, the "earth dwellers" are still rebellious toward the Lord.
c) Their hearts are still hard and they refuse to get right with God!
(1) In the fifth trumpet judgment, men were not allowed to die, and in the sixth trumpet judgment approximately 2 1/2 billion people will die!!
(2) Yet those left on the earth will increase their occultic practices and demonic worship!
(a) They will become even more hardened against the Lord, and more set for destruction!
(b) John 1:29 29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, "Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! (NKJV)
(c) All through the book of Revelation, the Lord is in the process of "taking away the sin of the world"
(i) For many it will mean salvation, as they admit their sins and accept the Lord's forgiveness.
(ii) For others it will mean destruction as he wipes the earth clean and prepares for new heaven and earth!!
(iii) Before we even begin our study, I must ask the question, "Where do you stand this morning?"
(d) Let's begin our study of the sixth trumpet of God's judgment on the earth!
A. Revelation 9:13-14 13 Then the sixth angel sounded: And I heard a voice from the four horns of the golden altar which is before God, 14 saying to the sixth angel who had the trumpet, "Release the four angels who are bound at the great river Euphrates." (NKJV)
1. If we go back to Leviticus and look at Israel's earthly tabernacle, which is only a "model" of what it is like in heaven:
a) We remember that the priest was continually touching the four horns of the tabernacle with his fingers that were dipped in the sacrificial blood.
b) It was also his job to keep a perpetual fire going and to burn the fat of the sacrifice on the altar!
(1) These were symbolic of the divine requirement that sin must be judged by fire and redeemed by blood!
(a) In other words, if mankind will not allow the blood of Christ to "atone" for their sins, then they must stand in the fiery judgment of God!!
2. Notice that these 4 angels are "bound" indicating that they have wanted to carry out this destruction long before now!
a) But who are these angels? And what do they have to do with the river Euphrates?
(1) First, they are "fallen" angels (the good one need not be bound) = demons from the 1/3 that fell with satan shortly after God's "week of creation".
b) The river Euphrates was one of the tributaries flowing from the Garden of Eden!!!
(1) It was there that satan began his work on our first parents.
(2) It was there that the first murder was committed.
(3) It was by the river Euphrates that the ancient pagan city of Babylon was built!
(4) And under Nimrod, the greatest display of astrology, pantheism, polytheism, idolatry, spiritism, and man-made philosophy began to flourish!!!
(5) Somehow satan and his "host" communicated to Nimrod the occultic secrets of the universe in order to bring about yet another great rebellion against God!
(a) This was evidenced by the carved images at the apex of their temple shrine, representing the stars and constellations.
(i) Virtually every star and constellation was associated with pagan gods and goddesses taking the form of these demonic hosts!
(b) Thus we have the "mythological" creatures of old, such as pegasus, and the centaurs of old!
(i) Were they fable or real?? As we look at these demons in the book of Revelation, we begin to believe that they were real!!
(ii) Genesis 6:1-4 1 Now it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born to them, 2 that the sons of God saw the daughters of men, that they were beautiful; and they took wives for themselves of all whom they chose. 3 And the LORD said, "My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, for he is indeed flesh; yet his days shall be one hundred and twenty years." 4 There were giants on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown. (NKJV)
(a) These scriptures strongly suggest that fallen angels (demons) came to earth and cohabitated with women and produced giants called "Nephilim".
(b) Is it not also possible that some of these demons could not possess human bodies and did so with animals ( like they did with the pigs in the gospels) resulting in the dragons, and centaurs, and pegasus', and a host of other creatures our culture now calls mythological?
(c) As we take a look at these creatures, this possibility doesn't seem so far fetched!
(iii) It is important to me that you understand, the scriptures here in verses 13 and 14 does not make my above scenario clear!
(iv) Although it is based upon scripture, it is still only speculation as to the connection of these "fallen angels" and the Edenic river Euphrates in these verses!
B. Revelation 9:1515 So the four angels, who had been prepared for the hour and day and month and year, were released to kill a third of mankind. (NKJV)
1. The last plague lasted only 5 months and men were not allowed to die. This one will be for just over 13 months (a year, a month, and a day), and many will die!
a) When you add all the time up from the seal judgments and the 5th and 6th trumpets, it adds up to 3 1/2 years, THE MIDDLE OF THE TRIBULATION!!!!
C. Revelation 9:16-19 16 Now the number of the army of the horsemen was two hundred million; I heard the number of them. 17 And thus I saw the horses in the vision: those who sat on them had breastplates of fiery red, hyacinth blue, and sulfur yellow; and the heads of the horses were like the heads of lions; and out of their mouths came fire, smoke, and brimstone. 18 By these three plagues a third of mankind was killed -- by the fire and the smoke and the brimstone which came out of their mouths.19 For their power is in their mouth and in their tails; for their tails are like serpents, having heads; and with them they do harm. (NKJV)
1. The number of these demons is almost equal to the entire population of the United States!!
a) They are horses, yet with the heads of lions, and tails like serpents, (with heads even on their tails)!
b) They are as deadly as they look!
(1) Out of their mouths come fire, smoke, and brimstone, or (sulfur)!
(2) All three of these are deadly to mankind as they come out of these creatures!
(3) It is ironic that many ancient nations describe a creature that formerly existed on the earth, that was able to breath fire and smoke! Even the Bible describes such a creature in Job 41:13-30 13 Who can remove his outer coat? Who can approach him with a double bridle?14 Who can open the doors of his face, With his terrible teeth all around?15 His rows of scales are his pride, Shut up tightly as with a seal;16 One is so near another That no air can come between them;17 They are joined one to another, They stick together and cannot be parted. 18 His sneezings flash forth light, And his eyes are like the eyelids of the morning.19 Out of his mouth go burning lights; Sparks of fire shoot out. 20 Smoke goes out of his nostrils, As from a boiling pot and burning rushes.21 His breath kindles coals, And a flame goes out of his mouth. 22 Strength dwells in his neck, And sorrow dances before him. 23 The folds of his flesh are joined together; They are firm on him and cannot be moved. 24 His heart is as hard as stone, Even as hard as the lower millstone. 25 When he raises himself up, the mighty are afraid; Because of his crashings they are beside themselves.26 Though the sword reaches him, it cannot avail; Nor does spear, dart, or javelin.27 He regards iron as straw, And bronze as rotten wood. 28 The arrow cannot make him flee; Slingstones become like stubble to him.29 Darts are regarded as straw; He laughs at the threat of javelins.30 His undersides are like sharp potsherds; He spreads pointed marks in the mire. (NKJV)
(4) The Bible calls this creature "Leviathan" (sea monster), cultures of old called them dragons!
(5) Whatever you want to call them, they will destroy over 1 1/2 billion people!
(6) What is the result? Fearful, repenting people? Quite the opposite!!
A. Revelation 9:20-21 20 But the rest of mankind, who were not killed by these plagues, did not repent of the works of their hands, that they should not worship demons, and idols of gold, silver, brass, stone, and wood, which can neither see nor hear nor walk. 21 And they did not repent of their murders or their sorceries or their sexual immorality or their thefts. (NKJV)
1. They remain self-indulgent, paganistic, idol worshippers!
a) Crying out to their little dead gods of gold, silver, brass, stone, and wood to save them. All the while refusing the only One and True God that could!
b) Because of their separation from God and all that is holy, they are thieves, murderers, sexual offenders, and drug users (5331 pharmakeia far-mak-i'-ah). Associated with witchcraft!!
2. This may seem like a sceen from STAR TREK THE NEXT GENERATION but it is not!
a) Data won't be there to calculate your odds!
b) Warf won't be there to take on your battles!
c) Jean Luc Picard won't be there to save the day!
d) And Number One, well, if you have made it this far into the tribulation, you're number one, so you're on your own!!!!