I. BUT YOU HAVE AN UNCTION FROM THE HOLY ONE.
A. This is a reference to the Holy Spirit.
B. The word unction is the Greek word chrisma. It is elsewhere translated anointing.
C. This anointing is therefore from the Holy Spirit.
D. The purpose of the anointing of the Holy Spirit is to help them to know all things.
But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
But God hath revealed [them] unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
1. Jesus promised His disciples that the Holy Spirit would teach them all things.
2. He also told them that when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, [even] the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of Me:
Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew [it] unto you.
3. John is speaking of the work of the Holy Spirit in teaching us of the things of Christ.
E. When he speaks of the Holy Spirit teaching us so that we know all things, the word know is the Greek oidas which is know intuitively. We have not yet experienced all things, and there are things that you just know without experiencing them.
F. John declares that he was writing to them not because they did not know the truth, but because they did know it, and that no lie was of the truth.
1. Now there were those men that were going around spreading lies concerning Jesus.
a. There were those who were denying that Jesus was the Messiah.
b. There were those who were saying that He was not Son of God.
c. There were those who were denying His deity.
2. They claimed to have the plain truth, but John said that no lie is of the truth.
3. These same lies are being spread by various cults today, the chief of them being the Jehovah Witnesses and the Mormons.
a. If according to the Mormon teaching Jesus was the brother of Satan, then He also was a created being of the angel class, and could not thus be God who is self-existent.
b. If Jesus was Michael, the arch angel, then He was again a created being in the angel category, and inferior to God.
c. In the book of Hebrews we read,
For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?
And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him.
d. When Jesus was tempted by Satan to receive the kingdoms of the world by bowing down and worshipping him, Jesus responded, "It is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God and Him only." The very fact that God would order the angels to worship Him puts Him high above the angel category.
4. The cults invariably deny the deity of Jesus Christ. Many will affirm the deity of the Father, but will deny the deity of the Son.
G. John declares that the person that denies that Jesus is the Messiah is a liar.
1. In those days the rabbis all believed that the Messiah would be the Son of God because of the prophecies.
a. "Unto us a child is born, unto us a Son is given."
b. In the book of Psalms, we read,
Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion.
I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou [art] my Son; this day have I begotten thee.
c. It is interesting that written in Arabic on the dome of the Rock mosque in Jerusalem are the words, "God is not begotten, neither is He begotten."
d. Yet that is what this prophetic psalm declares, and Jesus said, "God so loved the world that He have His only begotten Son."
e. When Jesus was interrogated by the High Priest, He was asked, "Are you the Messiah?" Jesus responded "You said it." The High priest then asked, "Are you then the Son of God?" and again Jesus responded, "You said it."
f. When Jesus asked His disciples, "Whom do you say that I am?" Peter answered, "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God."
g. The modern day rabbis are denying that Messiah will be the Son of God. In fact, they declare that to be one of the reasons for their rejection of Jesus as the Messiah because of that claim. They say that the Messiah will be a man, because of the prophecy of Moses,
The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken;
h. Their rational is that Moses was a man, so the Messiah will be a man.
2. The lie that Jesus is not One with the Father.
a. One of the names of the Messiah were prophesied to be, "The mighty God, the Everlasting Father."
b. Isaiah prophesied, "A virgin shall conceive and bring forth a Son and shall call His name Immanuel, which means God with us."
c. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
d. In John 10:30
, Jesus said, "I and the Father are one."
e. In John 14
, Jesus said, "He that hath seen Me, hath seen the Father."
f. The prayer of Jesus for His disciples in John 17
, that they might be one, even as He and the Father were one.
g. Surely the Jews in His day understood His claims.
Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.
Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?
The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.
i. In Philippians 2:6
, Paul said that He was in the form of God and thought it not robbery to be equal with God.
j. Paul declared to Timothy that God was manifested in the flesh.
k. To Titus, Paul said that we were looking forward to the blessed hope of the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ.
l. In Hebrews 1:8
, the Father calls the Son God. "Thy throne O God."
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.
Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send [it] unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea. When John turned to see the voice of the One talking to him, he saw Jesus.
H. John declared that the denial of the Father and the Son was the antichrist.
1. Paul spoke of how Satan was able to disguise himself as an angel of light in order to deceive. My heart aches for the millions who are being deceived by their leaders into false beliefs concerning Jesus Christ.
a. The Jews who listen to their rabbis who declare that Jesus is not the promised Messiah.
b. The Mormons and JW's and the many lessor cultists who deny that Jesus is God, the denial of the Father and the Son.
I. John tells us that if you deny the Son, you have not the Father.
1. That is the true God.
2. There are many who say that all roads lead to God. Maybe to some god, but not the true and living God, the Creator.
3. Paul tells us there is one God and one Mediator between God and man, and that is the Man Jesus Christ.
4. Jesus said, "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life, no man comes to the Father but by Me."
5. In the same token if you acknowledge the Son, you have the Father also.
II. LET THAT THEREFORE ABIDE IN YOU THAT YOU HAVE HEARD FROM THE BEGINNING.
A. He is speaking about the truth of Jesus Christ as was taught by Jesus and His disciples, that Jesus is the Messiah, that He is God come in the flesh. "That the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us."
1. Don't be taken in by the deceivers and false teachers who would seek to make Jesus something less than what He is.
B. If you hold to that which you heard from the beginning you will continue in the Son and in the Father.
1. Jesus said to His disciples, "In that day, you shall know that I am in the Father, and you are in Me and I am in you."