I. THESE THINGS HAVE I WRITTEN UNTO YOU CONCERNING THEM THAT WOULD SEDUCE YOU.
A. Paul warned Timothy, in his second letter, concerning the last days that evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived.
1. The words deceiving and being deceived are the same words in Greek as seduce.
2. In his fisrt letter he said,
Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
3. We surely must be in the last days for there are so many deceivers, especially on so-called Christian TV.
B. Peter warned of the false prophets and told how they could be recognized.
But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom he way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.
1. I am dismayed by all of the letters that are written by supposedly servants of God, begging for money.
2. The gimmicks that they use are blasphemous.
3. "Where God guides, God provides."
4. David said, "I have never seen the righteous forsaken, or God's seed begging bread."
C. In Mark's gospel, Jesus warned concerning the false messiahs and the false prophets that would show signs and wonders and seduce, if were possible even the elect.
D. There seems to be something very seductive about false doctrine.
1. It seems to get such a strong hold on people.
2. It usually demands blind devotion to the leadership.
a. Jehovah Witnesses.
c. The Church of Christ in Boston.
d. The local church.
II. WHAT IS OUR PROTECTION AGAINST THESE SEDUCERS? WE SHOULD BE CONCERNED IF EVEN THE VERY ELECT ARE IN DANGER OF BEING SEDUCED.
A. The anointing that we have received from Him.
1. The abiding, indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit.
2. The word anointing is from the Greek word chrisma; in verse 20 it is translated unction.
3. The witness of the Holy Spirit is our defense against the seducers and false prophets.
a. I am amazed how that some people are just drawn to all of the weird outlandlish ideas.
b. They seem to lack any sense of discernment.
c. Like a bull, they seem to charge after anything that is being waved in front of them.
4. On the other hand, what a joy it is to see those who seem to have that beautiful discernment of spirit.
a. It seems to have nothing to do with how long a person has been in the Lord.
b. I have seen new Christians who seem to have an immediate ability to know something is wrong, even though they do not know why it is wrong.
5. A very good friend who was brought to Christ by listening to the radio shortly after his conversion was sharing with me how that as he was drinking at a social gathering, something inside said, "You do not need that." He gave up drinking.
a. What a contrast that is with those who are always trying to stretch their Christian liberty and begin to drink wine.
b. Some prominent Christian TV personalities have severe drinking problems. It started with wine, but has progressed far beyond that now.
c. This same friend a few weeks later said that while at a social function as he was dancing, something inside said, "This doesn't edify the Lord, and he quit dancing."
d. Again, contrast that with those who are flirting with the world and trying to justify dancing as a good form of exercise.
B. John tells us that because this anointing abides in us, we do not need that man to teach us, but that same anointing will teach us.
1. Inately if you are walking in the Spirit, you will know what is right and what is wrong for you as a child of God.
2. I do not have to tell you what you should do and shouldn't do. If you are walking in the Spirit, you will just know.
3. This is what Jeremiah was talking about when he said,
But this [shall be] the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
4. This is why I do not spend much time in the pulpit preaching against certain worldly practices.
a. I assume that if you are truly a child of God He will reveal these things to you.
b. That anointing will teach you all things.
C. When John says that you do not need that any man should teach you, he is not speaking of men teaching you the scriptures. For John was even teaching them as he wrote this letter.
1. Paul declared that God had apointed in the church, and gifted men to be teachers.
2. Paul spoke to those who were taught in the word to communicate to them who teach them in all good things.
D. A man may be a gifted anointed teacher of the word, and you may sit and listen to him teach for years and still know very little. You cannot really know it until the Spirit reveals it to your heart.
1. Have you ever read a passage of scripture that is very familiar to you, you may have even memorized it, yet all of a sudden you begin to understand it in a new and different way, and you wonder how it is that you did not see this long ago?
2. That is the result of the Holy Spirit teaching it to you.
III. THE HOLY SPIRIT AS A TEACHER.
But the Comforter, [which is] the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.
For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know [them], because they are spiritually discerned.
But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
A. He is the truth and is no lie.
1. Three times Jesus calls Him the Spirit of truth.
IV. WHAT THE SPIRIT TEACHES US.
A. That we should abide in Him; (i.e. Jesus).
1. John 14:20
: In that day you shall know that I am in the Father and you are in Me, and I am in you.
2. John 15:4
: Abide in Me and I in you as the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine, no more can you, except you abide in Me.
3. John 15:5
: He that abideth in Me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit, for without Me, you can do nothing.
4. Verse 7: If you abide in Me and My words abide in you, you shall ask what you will and it shall be done unto you.