"LAYING UP A GOOD FOUNDATION AGAINST THE TIME TO COME."
I. "THE TIME TO COME." PAUL HAD TOLD TIMOTHY THAT IN THE LAST DAYS PERILOUS TIMES WOULD COME. THE TIME IS COMING WHEN YOUR FAITH WILL BE TESTED TO THE LIMITS. IN THE TIME OF TESTING THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS THAT YOU HAVE A GOOD FOUNDATION.
A. In erecting a building, one of the most important things is a solid foundation.
B. Jesus spoke of two men who built houses, one was wise, the other foolish.
1. The one man was considered foolish because he built his house on the sand.
2. Jesus said the wise man dug deep and built his house on the Rock.
3. In looking at the houses standing there, there was probably no discernable difference, they both looked the same.
4. The difference showed up when the storm came, and the rain descended, and the flood waters flowed.
5. The house on the rock stood fast, whereas the house on the sand was washed away.
C. Jesus was using a physical example to illustrate a spiritual truth. For the houses He is referring to are the spiritual houses that we are building.
D. The question is, "What kind of foundation are you building on?"
II. THE VARIOUS TYPES OF FOUNDATIONS UPON WHICH PEOPLE HAVE BUILT THEIR SPIRITUAL HOUSES.
A. Some have built their spiritual houses on feelings.
1. They testify of some exotic feelings that they had.
2. They might say, "I know that it is true because I felt it."
3. They may speak of the feelings of inexpressible joy.
4. They may testify of feeling like liquid love was being poured over them.
5. They may talk of feeling so good.
6. This is building on sand.
7. Feelings will not stand the test of the storms that are coming.
8. You may testify of feeling like ten tons were suddenly lifted off of your shoulders, but what are you going to do tomorrow when it feels like someone has dumped a hundred tons on your head?
B. Others have built their houses on the word of others.
1. The preacher told me that if I would just join the church and pay my tithes regularly that I will be all right.
2. I was told that I was baptized when I was an infant. The date is written in the family Bible. The church tells me I was saved when I was baptized as an infant.
3. You are trusting in the word of man.
4. You must be careful, because different men say different things. How can you know they are not false prophets.
a. Jesus told us to beware of false prophets who would come in sheep's clothing.
b. They have told you that all roads lead to God. That it really doesn't matter which path you follow for eventually all roads lead to God.
c. The path is so broad that practically every one is on it.
d. Jesus said, "Straight is the gate and narrow is the path that leads to eternal life, and few there be that find it."
e. Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life, and no man can come to the Father but by Me."
f. I do not want something so important as my eternal destiny to hinge on the words of some man, I will put my trust in the words of Jesus.
5. You talk to some people about being born again, and they say "I'm Catholic." What is that supposed to mean?
a. I don't remember where Jesus said, "You must be a Catholic to enter the kingdom of heaven," but I do recall Him saying, "You must be born again to enter the kingdom of God."
C. Some are building on the sand of past experiences.
1. Again, I was baptized as an infant.
2. I went forward and said the sinners prayer in a Billy Graham crusade...
3. I joined the church, my name is still on the church rolls.
4. You cannot trust in past experiences.
5. Paul testified of a past experience when He met Jesus on the Damascus road. He said as a result of that experience, everything that he had counted gain up to that moment, he counted as loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Jesus Christ, Yea, doubtless I count all things as refuse, that I may know Him. Past experiences are not valid unless that are transmitted into present reality.
6. What you did thirty years ago is only valid, if it is a continuing experience in your life today.
D. The true foundation.
1. Jesus said, "He dug deep and laid his foundation on the rock."
2. What is the Rock?
a. None other than Jesus Christ. "My hope is built on nothing less, than Jesus blood and righteousness, I dare not trust the sweetest frame but wholly lean on Jesus name. On Christ the solid Rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand."
b. Paul wrote:
For other foundation can no man lay but that which is already laid which is Jesus Christ.
III. IN THE PARABLE JESUS SAID THAT THE STORMS CAME.
A. You can be sure that the storms are coming.
1. Our world is sitting on a powder keg, and the fuse is lit.
2. It is only a matter of time until those things that you have put your trust in are going to fail.
3. The middle east is a boiling cauldron that at any time can spill over into the rest of the world.
a. The Arab summit conference is meeting right now, and Khomeini the supreme leader of Iran is calling for the Arab nations to join together to clean the Holy Quds, or Jerusalem from the Zionists.
b. Listen to what Zechariah said about this 2500 years ago.
Behold, I will make Jerusalem a cup of trembling unto all the people round about, when they shall be in the siege both against Judah [and] against Jerusalem.
And in that day will I make Jerusalem a burdensome stone for all people: all that burden themselves with it shall be cut in pieces, though all the people of the earth be gathered together against it.
4. God's word speaks of a time in the last days when the whole earth will be shaken.
See that ye refuse not him that speaks For if they escaped not who refused him when He spoke on earth, how much less shall we [escape], if we turn away from Him who now speaks to us from heaven:
When He spoke, His voice shook the earth: but now he has promised, saying, Yet once more I will shake not the earth only, but also heaven.
This [word], once more, signifies the removing of those things that are shaken, as of things that are made by man, and only those things which cannot be shaken will remain.
Wherefore we shall receive a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:
B. Now is the time to check out your foundation.
1. If you wait until the storm hits, you will be too late to stand, your whole house will come tumbling down around you.
2. What kind of foundation have you built your house on?
3. The storm clouds are on the horizon, and it is only a matter of time until the storm hits with full fury. Will your house still be standing?
C. There is only one solid foundation. 1 CO 3:11
For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.