"THE OCCULTIC REVOLUTION"
Intro: This week a young man in his graduate studies for his Ph.D.. In Orange County boys and girls in grade school and Junior High call for spirit of Mary Worth in seances. A favorite party stunt is to conduct a seance.
I. WE SEE A GROWING INTEREST IN THE OCCULT.
A. The history of the occult is almost as old as the history of man.
1. Ancient Egyptian writings still source books for present day witchcraft.
2. God was warning against practices of the Canaanites.
3. In primitive cultures today the witch doctor still most respected and feared in community.
B. Through the centuries man has tried to reach beyond the realm of the material.
1. Has desired to learn hidden mysteries.
2. Sought to cast spells.
3. Desired to possess uncanny powers.
4. Desired to continue a tie with a dead loved one.
C. The emergence of the age of science almost sounded the death knell for occultism.
1. The idea of witchcraft was scoffed at.
2. The fact of God's existence challenged.
3. The whole area of the supernatural was relegated to ignorance and superstition.
D. But we now see a renewed interest in the occult.
1. Science has sought to make a serious study of Psychic phenomena.
2. High school and colleges are offering courses of study in witchcraft.
3. Several TV series have occultic powers introduced into the stories, in humor.
4. Millions of ouija boards are being sold.
5. The church of Satan has been founded.
a. We laughed at first thinking it was a giant put on, a big joke.
b. We have found they weren't joking.
II. WHY THE SUDDEN REVIVAL IN OCCULTIC POWER?
A. Some blame the TV programs.
B. One prominent psychiatrist blames the church.
1. He claims that man basically wants to believe in the supernatural.
2. When the theologians began proclaiming that God was dead.
3. And sought to rationalize the miracles of Christ and the Bible.
a. Jesus had excellent vision, saw fish jumping.
>b. 5,OOO fed by common practice of carrying lunch up their sleeves.
4. This theology created spiritual void and people began turning to the occult to fulfill the need of believing in the supernatural.
C. It seems to me it is related to the massive drug abuse.
1. Drugs have always been related to witchcraft
a. In Galatians word witchcraft is Greek word "pharmakeia".
2. Many young people through drugs were introduced to the reality of the spirit world.
a. They became ripe candidates for either Christianity or occultism.
b. Those churches proclaiming the possibility of a dynamic relationship with a living God reaped a harvest of souls, and on the other side the occultic revival was on.
III. WHAT ARE THE DANGERS OF OCCULTISM?
A. To those not in it, to deny its reality.
1. To consider the ouija board a harmless toy.
2. To think of a seance as a parlor game.
3. To think that this is just a passing fad.
B. To those that are in it, the danger of becoming possessed by demons.
1. When you open the doors to the spirit world and seek its powers the point comes when you are required to yield to those powers.
2. What they promise you of power to begin with ends in slavery.
a. No longer in control of your own body you are in a living hell.
3. Possession is always the end purpose when Satan lures you into the occult.
IV. WHAT IS YOUR PROPER ATTITUDE TOWARD IT?
A. Shun it, don't dabble, don't even study it.
1. Many are first drawn by curiosity.
3. God commanded "don't learn to do..."
B. Don't even read your horoscope.
C. Don't visit a fortune teller.
D. If you have a ouija board, destroy it.
E. If in your past you have delved into any of these areas repent and ask God's forgiveness.
F. If you have friends that are involved pray for them.
1. It is a spiritual battle.
a. The weapons of our warfare...
G. Realize our great advantage and victory through Jesus Christ.
1. The prince of darkness grim, we tremble...
2. Jesus has spoiled these principalities and powers.