"THE KING IS COMING"
I. GOD IS ANNOUNCING THE END OF THE KINGDOM OF ISRAEL. "REMOVE THE DIADEM, AND TAKE OFF THE CROWN."
A. God had promised to David that He would establish the throne of his kingdom forever. IISam. 7:16
1. This was a conditional promise.
2. I Kings 2:4
David declared to Solomon that the Lord had said to him, "If thy children take heed to their way, to walk before Me in truth with all of their heart, and with all their soul, their shall not fail thee a man on the throne of Israel."
a. This should put to rest that fantasy that Jeremiah spirited one of the descendants of David to England where he became king over other Jews that had settled there, and that the present Queen of England is a direct descendant of David.
b. Those who assert this fail to recognize that the promise to David was conditional.
3. The truth of the matter is that the descendants of David were filled with iniquity and transgressions. God called the current king Zedekiah the profane wicked prince of Israel.
B. God's original plan for the nation of Israel is that they be a Theocracy, a nation ruled over by God.
1. There came a tragic day in their history when the people came to the prophet Samuel and demanded a king like the other nations around them.
2. God told Samuel not to mourn, for they had not rejected Samuel from ruling over them, but they had rejected God's rule over them.
3. God showed Samuel that he was to anoint Saul as King over Israel.
4. Saul showed a lot of promise.
a. He was tall and handsome.
b. He came from a good home.
c. He was humble.
d. He was filled with the Spirit of God.
e. There went with him a company of men whose hearts God had touched.
5. Saul began to show great weaknesses.
a. He became prideful.
b. He began to turn against the godly men around him.
c. He began to rebel against the rule of God in his life.
d. God declared that he would take the throne from Saul and give it to a man after His own heart.
e. David was that man.
f. God then promised to David that if his descendants would walk before God with all of their heart and soul, that there would always be one of his descendants upon the throne.
g. David understood from this promise that God was declaring that the Messiah would be a descendant of David.
II. IT WAS ACCEPTED AND ACKNOWLEDGED THAT THE KING OF ISRAEL WOULD BE FROM THE TRIBE OF JUDAH, AND THE HOUSE OF DAVID.
A. When Jacob was dying and had called his sons to his bedside to receive the final words from their father, as he faced the sons from the eldest to the youngest, he began to prophesy over them.
1. When he came to Judah, he declared that the scepter would not depart from Judah nor the lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come.
2. Shortly after the birth of Jesus the Roman government took from Israel the powers of capitol punishment, reserving that right for Rome only. Many of the priests went through the city with sack cloth and ashes bemoaning the fact that the promises of God had failed, for the lawgiver had had departed from Judah, little did they know that Shiloh was even then growing up in Nazareth.
B. The Messiah was to be the rod out of the stem of Jesse, the Branch out of his roots. Isa. 11:1
C. In Jeremiah 23:5
God promised: "Behold the days come, saith the Lord that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth."
D. Jeremiah 33:15
"In those days and at that time, will I cause the Branch of righteousness to grow up unto David; and he shall execute judgment and righteousness in the land, for thus saith the Lord, David shall never want a man to sit upon the throne of the house of Israel.
E. Amos prophesied, "In that day I will raise up the house of David that is fallen, and I will close up the breaches, and raise up his ruins, and I will build it as in the days of old."
F. In Luke 1
the angel told Mary that she was to conceive and bear a Son who she was to name Jesus, the angel went on to say that He would be great, and God would give to Him the throne of His father David, that He would reign over the house of Jacob, for ever, and of His kingdom, there would be no end.
G. In John 7:42
the Pharisees said: Do not the scriptures say that the Messiah will come from the seed of David, and out of the city of Bethlehem the city of David?
H. Jesus fulfilled these requirements, He was from the tribe of Judah and the house of David.
1. Zechariah had prophesied "Rejoice O daughters of Zion, shout for joy daughters of Jerusalem for behold your king is coming, He is just having salvation, but He is lowly riding on a donkey, and on a colt the foal of a donkey."
2. When Jesus came riding into Jerusalem on that donkey the people began to shout, "Hosanna to the Son of David, blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord."
I. God is now declaring that He is going to overturn, overturn, overturn the kingdom, He is going to remove the diadem and take the crown from the profane wicked prince of Israel. They will have a king no more.
1. Does this mean that the promises of God to David were rescinded?
2. No, the promise was actually twofold, one was conditional they did not fulfill the conditions, thus the throne will be empty for a time.
3. But the word of the Lord to David still stands, and the Messiah the King is coming to establish the throne of David forever. For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given and the government shall be upon His shoulder, and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, the Mighty God, the Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace, and of the increase of His government and peace, there shall be no end, upon the throne of David and upon his kingdom to order and establish it with judgment and justice from henceforth, even for ever.
III. THE PROMISE OF THE COMING KING. I WILL OVERTURN, OVERTURN, OVERTURN, UNTIL HE COMES, WHOSE RIGHT IT IS; AND I WILL GIVE IT TO HIM.
A. Jesus told His disciples that He was going away, but He promised that He would come again.
1. As Jesus ascended into heaven from the Mt. of Olives leaving the disciples standing their in wonder, two angels in white apparel stood by them and asked, "You men of Galilee, why do you stand here gazing into heaven, this same Jesus shall come again in like manner as you have seen Him go into heaven."
2. Matt. 25:31
Jesus said, "When the Son of Man comes in His glory and all of the holy angels with Him, then shall He sit upon the throne of His glory.
3. In Luke 9:26
Jesus said, "If any man is ashamed of Me and My words, the Son of Man shall be ashamed of him when He comes in His glory and in the glory of the Father and the holy angels.
B. Daniel prophesied in 7:13 "I saw the night visions, and behold, One like the Son of Man, came to the Ancient of days and they brought Him near before Him, and there was given Him dominion, and glory and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve Him; His dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and His kingdom that which shall not be destroyed."
1. Daniel also prophesied of a final world governing power that would be composed of ten kingdoms that were related in some way to the Roman empire, and during the time of the reign of those ten kings, the God of heaven shall set up a kingdom which shall never be destroyed.
2. There are two current possibilities presently for the fulfillment of this 10 kingdom confederacy.
a. The European Community that will take a giant step forward at the end of this year.
b. The proposed 10 economic communities envisioned by the Trilateral Commission, of which the European Community is the first to come into realization.
C. Jesus said that His return would be necessary to save the world from destroying itself.
1. Our current policies concerning the HIV virus is a threat to the survival of mankind on this planet.
2. The American public is being lied to by the liberal media, and the government concerning AIDS in order to protect the homosexual community, when the truth is finally realized, I predict a tremendous backlash against both the government and the homosexual community, who were willing to put all of our lives in jeopardy in order to protect their lascivious life style.
3. Look at the economic woes facing the world today. There is hardly a government in the world that can live within its means, and ours the worst of all. Look at the fiasco we have just gone through in Sacramento with the current State budget.
4. Wars have become more sophisticated and deadly.
D. I am convinced that the One whose right it is ready to return and take the throne of David, and begin His righteous rule over the earth. Even so, come quickly Lord Jesus.