Intro. He is here praying for His disciples. He says of them that He has manifested the Father's name to them; that the Father had given them to Him out of the world; they were the Father's but He gave them to Him. That they had kept His Word.
I. THEY NOW KNOW THAT ALL THINGS THAT HE HAS, HAVE BEEN GIVEN TO HIM BY THE FATHER.
Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or [whether] I speak of myself.
For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God.
I came forth from the Father, and am come into the world: again, I leave the world, and go to the Father.
His disciples said unto him, Lo, now speakest thou plainly, and speakest no proverb.
Now are we sure that thou knowest all things, and needest not that any man should ask thee: by this we believe that thou camest forth from God.
II. "FOR I HAVE GIVEN THEM THE WORDS WHICH YOU GAVE ME."
A. The scripture:
Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? The words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
1. Jesus had said concerning His words that they were Spirit and they were life. John 6:63
2. He was doing the Father's works.
3. He was speaking the Father's words.
4. He was manifesting the Father to man.
B. What does this tell me of God?
1. He is loving.
2. He is kind.
3. He is compassionate.
4. He loves children.
5. He is forgiving.
6. He is tender (Weeping over Jerusalem and at Lazarus' tomb).
7. He is merciful.
8. He has power over the forces of evil.
9. He wants to remove the curse that sin has brought to man.
Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed [is] every one that hangeth on a tree:
C. Why would anyone hate a God like that?
1. Because of Satan's lies. Satan has given to man a distorted view of God.
2. Because a man loves darkness rather than light because his deeds are evil.
D. "And they have received them." Hear the witness of John the Baptist.
He must increase, but I [must] decrease.
He that cometh from above is above all: he that is of the earth is earthly, and speaketh of the earth: he that cometh from heaven is above all.
And what he hath seen and heard, that he testifieth; and no man receiveth his testimony.
He that hath received his testimony hath set to his seal that God is true.
For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure [unto him].
The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand.
He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
E. And have known surely that I came from Thee.
And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son [to be] the Savior of the world.
1. When Jesus asked His disciples who they said He was, Peter answered, "You are the Christ the Son of the living God."
And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.
She saith unto him, Yea, Lord: I believe that thou art the Christ, the Son of God, which should come into the world.
2. And they have believed that You have sent Me.
F. What are the things that they knew and believed?
1. That all things that the Father had given Him were of Him.
2. They knew that He had come from God.
3. They believed that the Father had sent Him.
4. These are the things that He had been affirming to them throughout His ministry.
G. Why did they believe these things?
1. Because of the miracles?
a. Many had seen the miracles who did not believe.
b. It is a false assumption that we make in thinking that if a person could just see a miracle that they would believe.
c. Miracles in and of themselves do not make believers.
d. Some see a miracle and scoff, others see and believe.
e. The miracle itself does not make a believer.
d. The Pharisees were willing to attribute his miracles to the powers of Beelzebub.
2. Because it had been put into their hearts by the Father to believe.
3. If God has put it into your heart to believe, rejoice. I was chosen in Christ before the foundation of the world. What a blessing, what a joy, what a thrill.
III. "I PRAY FOR THEM."
A. What a thrill that must have brought to the hearts of the disciples to hear Jesus praying for them.
1. For Jesus to say to Peter, "Satan has desired you, that he may sift you as wheat, but I have prayed for you that your faith will not fail, and when you are converted, strengthen your brethren."
2. What a thrill to realize that Jesus is praying to the Father for me.
a. Seeing He ever liveth to make intercession for us.
b. Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that has both died and is risen again, and is at the right hand of the Father making intercession for us.
B. I do not pray for the world.
1. This is a hard statement to understand, seeing that we are always praying for the world.
a. Why should I pray for the world, if He doesn't pray for the world?
1. Because He knows those who are His, and I don't.
2. The offer of salvation is to be made to all men.
a. In Ps.96:3
: "Declare His glory among the heathen, and His wonders among all people."
b. Mark 16:15
: "Go into all the world and preach the gospel every creature, he that believeth and is baptized shall be saved."
c. Not all will believe. "Who hath believed our report, and to whom is the arm of the Lord revealed?"
3. An interesting scripture is found in Acts 13:48
when Paul and Barnabas were preaching in the synagogue, "And as many as were ordained to eternal life believed." There were those who were striving against the gospel that they had heard. Others believed.
4. Paul told Timothy, "The Lord knoweth them that are His."
5. Jesus said, "All that the Father hath given Me shall come to Me, and he that cometh unto Me, I will in no wise cast out."
C. The fact that God knows, does not in any wise reduce my responsibility to pray and to witness, and to preach the gospel to every creature.
1. When God judges the ungodly and sinners, He will be justified in His condemnation, for they all heard and had the opportunity to repent.