I. WHOSOEVER HEARS THESE SAYINGS OF MINE AND DOES THEM.
A. Again Jesus is pointing out the importance of our not just hearing, but doing the things He has commanded.
Blessed [is] he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time [is] at hand.
2. Again, James tells us to be doers of the word and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.
3. Paul wrote:
(For not the hearers of the law [are] just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
4. Moses said to the people:
Hear, O Israel, the statutes and judgments which I speak in your ears this day, that ye may learn them, and keep, and do them.
5. The Lord said to Ezekiel:
Also, thou son of man, the children of thy people still are talking against thee by the walls and in the doors of the houses, and speak one to another, every one to his brother, saying, Come, I pray you, and hear what is the word that cometh forth from the LORD.
And they come unto thee as the people cometh, and they sit before thee [as] my people, and they hear thy words, but they will not do them: for with their mouth they shew much love, [but] their heart goeth after their covetousness.
And, lo, thou [art] unto them as a very lovely song of one that hath a pleasant voice, and can play well on an instrument: for they hear thy words, but they do them not.
And when this cometh to pass, (lo, it will come,) then shall they know that a prophet hath been among them.
B. Therefore who hears and does what? "These sayings of mine."
1. Looking back on the sayings of Jesus in this sermon, they will test your commitment to the fullest.
a. Be reconciled to your brother with whom you have ought.
b. Don't look at a woman to lust after her. Surely this is a prohibition to pornography.
c. Turn the other cheek.
d. Go the second mile.
e. Love your enemies.
f. Bless those who curse you.
g. Be perfect as your Father in heaven is perfect.
h. Don't do your righteous acts in such a way as to receive the plaudits of man.
i. Don't worry about tomorrow.
j. Do not be condemning.
k. Ask, seek, and knock.
l. Whatever you would like men to do for you, do that for them.
m. Enter in at the straight gate, walk the narrow path.
II. HE IS LIKE A WISE MAN WHO BUILT HIS HOUSE UPON A ROCK. LUKE'S GOSPEL SAYS, HE DUG DEEP AND LAID HIS FOUNDATION ON A ROCK.
A. Jesus is talking about the spiritual house that we are building.
1. One of the most important things to any building is the foundation on which it is built.
2. As you are building your spiritual house of faith, and hope for the future, what kind of foundation are you building on?
a. Some build on experiences. They go to a meeting where there seem to be many miracles taking place. They stand and weep as they hear the testimonies of those who claim their healing. They believe that God is real, and they begin to build their faith on what they have seen and heard.
b. Others build their house of faith on feelings. The Mormons are encouraged to seek a burning heart experience to ascertain whether or not the book of the Mormon is the true word of God. They will testify of the burning heart experience. Others will tell of exotic sensations or experiences with angels, maybe some vision or dream.
c. These are not solid foundations. The person who testified of their healing from cancer may die of cancer next month. What happens to your faith then?
d. You may discover that your heartburn was indigestion, what happens to the authenticity of the book then?
e. The book that changed your life when you read about the angels coming and sitting at the foot of the bed and petting the man's dog as he talked to the minister. You may discover that the minister had a brain tumor that was causing hallucinations.
3. More specifically and in context, Jesus is talking about those who are building their hopes on the false doctrines taught by the false prophets.
a. Those who seek to broaden the way to heaven.
b. They encourage you to not worry about the life of the flesh, you can live in fornication and adultery and still make it into heaven, because you are one of the chosen.
c. They teach that it really doesn't matter what you believe, so long as you are sincere, that all roads lead to heaven.
d. They teach that there are other paths than Jesus.
e. They would teach you to trust in the church for your salvation rather than having your full trust in Jesus only.
III. THE SURE FOUNDATION IS THE WORD OF GOD THAT TEACHES US TO TRUST FULLY IN JESUS CHRIST.
A. He dug deep and laid the foundation on the Rock.
B. Paul tells us that Christ is that Rock.
1. When Peter said, "Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God," Jesus said, "Upon this Rock, I will build My church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."
2. Paul wrote:
For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
3. On Christ the solid Rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand.
IV. THE IMPORTANCE OF THE SURE FOUNDATION.
A. The storms and testings are going to come.
1. Sooner or later your faith will be put to the test.
2. You will face circumstances and situations for which you will have no answer
3. If your foundation has been some emotional experience of great excitment and joy, it will come crashing down.
4. If your foundation has been built on some miraculous work of God, now that it seems God is silent and has not answered your cries, your house will be devastated.
B. What kind of foundation have you laid for your faith?