Intro. In the first three verses of the chapter Daniel tells us that this vision came to him in the third year of Belshazzar's reign and that he was in Shushan in the province of Elam, known today as Iran. Shushan later became the capitol of the Medo Persian Empire. He was no doubt there as a representative of the King, perhaps even in the position as an Ambassador. Last Sunday we talked about the coming kingdom that is going to rule over the earth. In talking of a kingdom you have the assumption of a king, and the coming kingdom that shall rule forever has a glorious King even Jesus and we are His representatives or ambassadors.
I. PAUL SPEAKS OF HIMSELF AS AN AMBASSADOR FOR CHRIST.
A. He was representing Jesus Christ to this people. Speaking to them on behalf of Jesus Christ to the Corinthians.
1. He was beseeching them in Christ's stead to be reconciled unto God.
2. Man has been in rebellion against God from the beginning.
a. Adam set the tone for the human race, He rebelled against the commandment of God in the beginning.
b. Man has been rebelling against the commandments of God ever since.
3. The world system which is under Satan's control has always been at war with God.
a. Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world, for he that the love of the world in his heart has not the love of the Father.
b. James said, "Know ye not that friendship with the world is enmity with God he that would be a friend of the world is an enemy of God."
c. Jesus said, "If you were of the world the world would love his own, but because you are not of this world, I have chosen you out of this world, therefore the world will hate you.
B. The King's business for us is to call unto those who are in the world to be reconciled unto God.
II. WE ARE HERE ON THE KING'S BUSINESS. THAT IS THE ONLY REASON THAT THE LORD LEAVES US HERE, THAT WE MIGHT REPRESENT HIM.
A. Our citizenship is in heaven.
1. The kingdom that we represent is of such glory as to be unimaginable by the natural man.
a. Eye has not seen, ear has not heard, neither has it entered into the heart of man the things that God has prepared for those that love Him.
b. Paul is quoting from Isaiah 64:4
"For since the beginning of the world, men have not heard, nor perceived by the ear, neither hath the eye seen, O God beside Thee, what He has prepared for those that wait for Him."
c. Paul speaks of being caught up into the third heaven where he heard things that were so glorious that it would be a crime to try to describe them in human language. Man's vocabulary is insufficient for such things.
d. There are three things in the Bible that are beyond words to describe.
1. God's wonderful gift to man in sending His Son. "Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift."
2. The beauties of heaven.
3. The joy we as Christians have knowing Jesus. We rejoice with a joy indescribable and full of glory.
e. The story of the little blind girl.
2. The Kingdom that we represent is eternal.
a. Of the increase of His government and peace there shall be no end.
b. The angel announced to Mary concerning the child that she bore in her womb, "And of His Kingdom there shall be no end."
c. These worldly kingdoms will all end, His kingdom is eternal.
3. The Kingdom we represent is coming soon.
a. Man has insulted the holy righteous God about all that He will take.
b. The cup of His indignation and wrath is about to overflow. Those who war against Him shall be destroyed.
c. Scientist are concerned with a possible collision of the earth with a large asteroid. They have proposed the scenario of the earth colliding with an asteroid of ten miles diameter. They speak of the chilling disaster and the destruction of life as we now know it. They have a watch on the asteroids, they plot their orbits to determine if one of the thousands of asteroids may be on a collision course with us.
d. Some of the descriptions that they give sound as though they came from the book of Revelation, as John is describing the great day of judgment as God judges the earth for it's corruption.
4. We are here on the Kings business, to tell man of the glories of Gods eternal Kingdom, and the coming destruction of the kingdoms of man.
III. WHAT A PRIVILEGE IT IS TO BE A REPRESENTATIVE OF A GOVERNMENT, TO DO THE KINGS BUSINESS.
A. When our presidents appoint Ambassadors to foreign nations, it is always looked upon as a great honor.
B. Someone has said that we are the only super power left in the world.
1. Imagine being chosen to represent our country to some other nation in the world.
2. You would speak for our nation, expressing our approval, or disapproval of their policies.
3. You would warn them of the possible dire consequences if they should pursue certain policies.
4. You speak with the authority of the United States behind you.
5. The power of the United States government stands behind you.
6. To insult an ambassador is to insult the nation he represents.
C. You have been called to be an ambassador for Jesus Christ, to represent your King to the world.
1. We speak to people in the authority of the name of Jesus.
2. The powers of heaven stand behind us.
3. An attack on us is an attack upon our Lord.
4. We warn man of heaven's disapproval of their actions, and the dire consequences if they continue in their sin.
IV. WHAT AN AWESOME RESPONSIBILITY TO BE A REPRESENTATIVE OF YOUR NATION.
A. The ambassadors must follow certain protocol.
1. They must assiduously study the customs and manners of the country where they are going, so as not to offend.
2. They are briefed on proper attire, language, greetings. They must be gracious, and careful not to offend by some action that might be considered vulgar in that nation.
3. After all, they represent their nation.
B. There is a tremendous responsibility of being representatives of Jesus Christ.
1. People are going to judge Him by what they see in me.
2. I am to love as He loves. Give as He gave, forgive even as He has forgiven.
3. My king is a beautiful king, He is kind, compassionate, merciful and gracious. I am to represent Him.
C. He does not appreciate being misrepresented.
1. Moses got in trouble big time for not properly representing God before the people at the waters of Mirabah.
2. Jesus said, "You are the light of the world, let your light so shine before men, that as they see your good works, they will glorify your Father which is in heaven.
D. There is a lot yet to be done in this world, let us as Daniel arise and do the King's business.