"BLESSED ARE THE PURE IN HEART"
"ESSENCE OF CHRISTIANITY"
I. WHY IS THIS PLACED HERE IN ORDER?
A. You would expect this at the front, very first.
1. To see God is purpose of all religions.
B. Verse 6 central verse of beatitudes.
1. First three concerned with our needs or our consciousness of need.
2. Verse 6, God's provision for our need.
3. Results from being filled.
a. Merciful, purse in heart, peacemakers.
4. The attitude of world toward such an individual.
C. Closer relationship.
1. Poor in spirit, merciful.
2. Mourn, pure in heart.
3. Meek, peacemakers.
D. Who are the pure in heart?
1. Those who have mourned because of impurity.
A. The gospel of Christ concerned with heart.
1. Great charge against Pharisees. Outer vessel clean.
B. Emphasized heart not head.
1. Today's emphasis on intellect. Blessed are intelligent.
2. Christianity is essentially not a matter of doctrine, or understanding.
a. It is an attitude of heart.
3. Intellect is important and first step.
a. "How shall they believe on Him of whom they have not heard."
b. Don't stop there, "believeth in his heart."
C. Emphasized heart - not externals and conduct.
1. Pharisees always ready to reduce righteousness to code of ethics.
D. What is meant by heart?
1. Center of personality.
a. Emotion - intellect - will.
2. Fount out of which all your life flows.
E. The heart is seat of all our troubles.
1. "Out of the heart proceeds evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, lies, blasphemies."
a. Terrible mistake of this generation is the idea that all man's problems due to environment.
1. To change a man just change environment.
2. It was in paradise man fell.
b. Man's problems lie at the center of his being and to deal with intellect not going to solve problem.
III. "BLESSED ARE THE PURE IN HEART."
A. We have been looking at human heart.
1. Anyone here ready to say you qualify?
2. Can anyone make himself a Christian?
a. Only those pure in heart shall see God.
B. What is meant pure in heart?
1. Without hypocrisy.
a. Singleness of heart, single eye, no folds.
c. Our greatest problem is divided heart; one side of us desires to serve God, other side wants something else.
3. To be like Christ Himself; perfect, spotless.
4. To live to God's glory should be supreme desire of our heart.
IV. WHAT IS MEANT BY "THEY SHALL SEE GOD."
A. Moses, back parts only, suggests looking at God impossible.
B. Jesus said, "Ye have neither heard His voice at any time or seen His shape."
1. "He that hath seen Me, hath seen the Father."
2. We just don't know.
3. The very being of God is so transcendent and eternal that all our efforts to arrive at an understanding are doomed to failure.
4. The scriptures do not attempt to give us adequate conception of the being of God, why?
5. His glory and being so great, and our terms and minds so inadequate that there is danger at any attempt to describe.
C. In a sense we see God now as those in sin cannot.
1. Nature, history.
D. Do you realize you are being prepared for this? Do you ever stop to meditate on this?
V. HOW CAN OUR HEARTS BECOME PURE?
A. Two views:
2. Let God do it. Cleansed by Word. The Holy Spirit washing of regeneration. You are going to see God? Is this your supreme desire and objective? Time is short, you have not long to prepare. You will soon have an audience with the King? Don't you feel ashamed, that at this time you are wasting so much time on things that will have no value at that moment, but will only bring shame. You and I, creatures of time are going to see the eternal God, and bask in His love forever and ever. "He that hath this hope in Him, purifieth himself, even as Christ is pure.