"THE GREAT WHITE THRONE"
I. THERE IS A FINAL DAY OF RECKONING COMING.
A. In this chapter the scene is described.
1. John tells us of seeing this great white throne in heaven.
2. John tells us that the One sitting on the throne is so awesome that the earth and heaven fled from His face.
B. Many times people make a great mistake in thinking that they were successful in hiding their sin.
1. No one found out.
2. I covered my tracks well.
3. David was such a one.
C. The bible says: "You can be sure your sins will find you out."
D. If not in this life, in the life to come.
E. It is important that you know this.
1. I think of the power trips that those who are in positions of authority in government often go on.
2. They have people constantly coming to them for favors.
3. It is hard not to get intoxicated with the power.
4. They begin to pass laws for the special interest groups, those who have contributed the greatest amounts to their election.
5. Laws that they know are harmful for the general welfare of the people, but they vote the party line though it violates their own conscience.
6. Most of them in their heady power trips forget that one day they will stand before the great judge of the Universe and will be held accountable for their actions.
7. I think of the judges throughout the land who in many cases have usurped the power over the legislative branch of government by their interpretation of the law.
8. These men are called gods in the scriptures because of the power they are given over the lives of others.
9. So often they manifest their own prejudices in the decisions that they mete out.
10. The blood of millions of innocent babies who have been killed because of their decision will be on their hands. They are responsible for the horrible flood of pornography that is destroying our nation.
11. They are responsible for removing God out of our school and nation.
12. Some day, they will have to stand before the Judge of the universe and give an account of their decisions to Him.
13. Have you noticed how totally absurd some laws and some decisions are?
a. The government has just spent some 250 million dollars in building a huge dam on the Santa Ana river up near Redlands. This dam is to protect all of Orange County from a devastating 100 year flood. Those who live in the flood plain of the Santa Ana river will begin to save thousands of dollars on their home insurance, for they will no longer have to pay for special flood insurance. However a judge has halted the use of this dam, because someone discovered a Kangaroo rat in the area that might be covered with water in case the dam had to be used to save the thousands of lives that would be in danger should we have one of those hundred year floods.
b. How soon we forget the millions of dollars in losses to the homes out in the Hemet area, because they were not allowed to clear the brush away from the homes because it was a habitat for the kangaroo rat.
c. Something is radically wrong when men write laws that put greater value on kangaroo rats, than the lives of human beings.
II. WHO WILL BE BROUGHT INTO JUDGMENT?
A. I saw the dead, small and great.
B. The sea delivered up the dead that had been buried in it.
C. Death and hell have given up their dead.
D. No one can escape this judgment.
1. There will be no skipping bail.
2. There will be no fleeing to South America.
3. There will no clever attorneys to get your case dismissed on a technicality.
E. You will surely not be able to lie out of this one.
Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things [are] naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.
He that planted the ear, shall he not hear? he that formed the eye, shall he not see?
Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the LORD. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the LORD.
If thou sayest, Behold, we knew it not; doth not he that pondereth the heart consider [it]? and he that keepeth thy soul, doth [not] he know [it]? and shall [not] he render to [every] man according to his works?
F. Nor can there be any appeal of the sentence. This is the supreme court of the universe.
III. WHAT WILL BE BROUGHT INTO JUDGMENT?
A. Twice in our text we are told that every work will be brought into judgment.
B. Solomon said:
For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether [it be] good, or whether [it be] evil.
C. Jesus said:
But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
Therefore whatsoever ye have spoken in darkness shall be heard in the light; and that which ye have spoken in the ear in closets shall be proclaimed upon the housetops.
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
D. Paul spoke to the Romans of the day when God would judge the secrets of men. He said that every man will have to give an account of himself to God.
E. In Hebrews it speaks of the:
certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
Of how much worse punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongs to me, I will repay, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.
[It is] a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
IV. WE ARE TOLD THAT THE BOOKS WILL BE OPENED, AND JOHN SAW ANOTHER BOOK WHICH WAS THE BOOK OF LIFE.
A. This book of life was first mentioned by Moses.
Yet now, if thou wilt forgive their sin; and if not, blot me, I pray thee, out of thy book which thou hast written.
And the LORD said unto Moses, Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will I blot out of my book.
B. David makes a very interesting reference to it in the 69th psalm, which was one of the prophecy psalms of the Messiah.
Reproach hath broken my heart; and I am full of heaviness: and I looked [for some] to take pity, but [there was] none; and for comforters, but I found none.
They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.
Let their table become a snare before them: and [that which should have been] for [their] welfare, [let it become] a trap.
Let their eyes be darkened, that they see not; and make their loins continually to shake.
Pour out thine indignation upon them, and let thy wrathful anger take hold of them.
Let their habitation be desolate; [and] let none dwell in their tents.
For they persecute [him] whom thou hast smitten; and they talk to the grief of those whom thou hast wounded.
Add iniquity unto their iniquity: and let them not come into thy righteousness.
Let them be blotted out of the book of the living, and not be written with the righteous.
C. Daniel makes a reference to it, in regards to the great tribulation.
And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation [even] to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book.
D. Jesus said to His disciples who had just reported to Him their great excitment because the devils were subject to them in His name.
Don't rejoice that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.
E. The book of Revelation is full of references of this book of life.
He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.
And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is [the book] of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
F. There is one thing that you want to be absolutely certain of and that is that your name is written in the book of life when your time comes to leave this earth or when Jesus comes for His church.