"STAYING THE COURSE."
I. WE NEED TO TAKE THE MORE EARNEST HEED TO THE THINGS THAT WE HAVE HEARD.
A. We need to earnestly hold on to the truth.
B. Today there is tremendous pressure to compromise the truth.
1. People are trying to broaden the path to heaven.
2. They accuse us of being too narrow by insisting that Jesus is the only way to heaven.
3. It is interesting to me that people are willing many times to acknowledge Jesus as a prophet or a great teacher, yet they do not believe the things He said.
4. Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life, no man can come to the Father but by Me."
5. Now that is either true or false. If it is true, then we had better take heed, If it is false, then He is not a prophet or a good man or teacher, but a fraud.
6. He said, "I and the Father are one." That is true or false.
7. He said, "I am the resurrection and the life, and he that believes in Me, though he were dead, yet shall he live, and he that lives and believes in Me shall never die."
8. These statements are too radical to be ignored, they are either true or false. Jesus was the Son of God, or a liar, deceiver, or to be kind, perhaps he was just a lunatic, suffering from delusions of grandeur.
C. Take earnest heed or pay close attention to the things that have we heard, what have we heard?
1. That Christ died for our sins, according to the scriptures.
2. That He was buried and rose again on the third day according to the scriptures.
3. That whosoever believes in Him will not perish but have everlasting life, according to His promise.
4. That the only provision that God has made for our sins, is the blood of Jesus Christ.
a. Neither is there salvation in any other for there is none other name under heaven given unto men whereby you must be saved.
b. The cross of Jesus tells us that. His prayer in the garden, "If it is possible let this cup pass from Me."
c. Do you think that God would allow His Son to suffer such shame and pain, if there was any other way for man to be redeemed from his sin?
II. "LEST AT ANY TIME WE SHOULD LET THEM SLIP."
A. This word slipped is used for something that slipped out of your mind.
1. Have you ever got someone's attention and then forgot what you were going to say?
2. Someone returns your phone call, but you forget what you called them for?
3. Maybe you are having an argument with someone and as they are presenting their point, you think of a great rebuttal, but by the time they have finished, you forgot your rebuttal. It just sort of slipped out of your mind.
4. The ladies who were talking about this memory loss.
5. There are certain basic truths that you must not let slip away.
6. Or you don't want to drift away from these truths.
III. THE WORD THAT WAS SPOKEN BY ANGELS WAS STEDFAST.
A. This is a reference to the law given by Moses. Stephen in his defense before the counsel said:
This is that Moses, which said unto the children of Israel, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear.
This is he, that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel which spoke to him in the mount Sinai, and [with] our fathers: who received the living word of God to give unto us:
1. Those who did not keep the commandments given by Moses were to be put to death.
2. That is every transgression and disobedience received a just recompense of reward or true justice befitting their crime.
IV. HOW SHALL WE ESCAPE IF WE NEGLECT THIS GREAT SALVATION THAT WAS GIVEN TO US BY NONE OTHER THAN JESUS CHRIST THE SON OF GOD?
A. How shall we escape what?
1. The judgment of God for our sin.
2. The just punishment for our sins.
B. What is that just punishment?
1. Eternal separation from God in a place that the Bible calls Gehenna, and is described by Jesus as a furnace of fire where there was wailing and gnashing of teeth, also outer darkness where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth. Jesus said it is a place where the worm dieth not, neither is the fire quenched.
2. The Bible only speaks of Gehenna 12 times; 11 of those times by Jesus and once by James.
3. It is called in the book of Revelation the second death, and described as a lake of fire and brimstone where the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever.
C. The truth of the matter is that if you neglect or reject this great salvation, there is no escape for you. Jesus Christ is the only provision God has made for you to escape the judgment of God in Gehenna.
D. Which door?