Intro. When Job was talking with his friends concerning his affliction, Bildad suggested in essence, "Just get right with God and everything will be O.K." Job responded that being aware of the greatness of God and how nothing He was in comparison, that there was no way that he could plead his case with God. He said, Neither is there any daysman betwixt us, [that] might lay his hand upon us both. Job saw the necessity of a mediator. Here beginning with verse 6, we find Jesus fulfilling that roll. In chapter 13, we read how He girded Himself with a towel and washed the feet of the disciples. Now we see Him laying His hand on the Father for the disciples.
I. "I HAVE MANIFESTED YOUR NAME UNTO THE MEN THAT YOU GAVE ME OUT OF THE WORLD."
A. The name of God is Yahweh, we often say Jehovah. God is not a name. It is a designation. Lord is not a name, it is a title. Jesus bore the name of God. Jehoshua, Jehovah is salvation.
B. What did Jesus mean He had manifested the name of God to the disciples?
1. When the Lord met with Moses on the mount we read,
And the LORD descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the LORD. And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear [the guilty]; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth [generation]. To manifest His name was thus to manifest His character.
2. Jesus manifested the name of God by showing mercy and grace.
a. The Samaritan woman.
b. The woman taken in the act of adultery.
c. The woman who washed His feet with her tears.
3. He manifested the name of Jehovah in His longsuffering.
4. Again, in the abundance of goodness and truth.
5. The name of Jehovah was manifested in Jesus in the forgiveness of sins.
a. To the man brought to Him with the palsy, He said, "Your sins are forgiven."
b. To the woman who washed His feet with her tears, He said, "Your sins are forgiven."
C. In the prophecy of Psalm 22:22
, concerning the Messiah it declares, "I will declare Thy name unto My brethren."
1. John 1:1
: "No man has seen God at any time, the only begotten Son who is in the bosom of the Father, He hath declared Him."
2. "And the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us and we beheld His glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth."
3. Hebrews says of Jesus that He was the brightness of His glory, and the express image of His person.
4. Jesus said to Philip, "Have I been so long a time with you and have you not seen Me? He that hath seen Me has seen the Father."
II. "TO THOSE WHO YOU GAVE TO ME OUT OF THIS WORLD."
A. Here again we face the truth of divine election. Jesus spoke over and over of those who the Father had given Him.
1. John 6:37
: All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.
And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.
No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
2. This is repeated in verses 9,11,24.
3. In John 15
, He said to His disciples, "You have not chosen Me, but I have chosen you and ordained that you should be My disciples, and that you should bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain."
4. Peter speaks of elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father.
5. My greatest problem and question concerning the doctrine of divine election, is why did He choose me?
6. It is not a doctrine that I choose to debate over, I would rather just rejoice in it.
B. Of all that are in the world, God has chosen me. But he chose me out of the world.
1. It should follow that I should not then live for the world but for Him who called me out of the world.
2. "Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world for he that hath the love of the world in his heart, has not the love of the Father."
3. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eye, and the pride of life is not of the Father but is of the world.
4. For the world passeth away, and the lusts thereof, but he that doeth the will of the Father, abideth forever.
III. "THINE THEY WERE, AND YOU HAVE GIVEN THEM TO ME, AND THEY HAVE KEPT THY WORD."
A. We are declared to be the Father's. "Thine they were"
1. Our bodies are declared to be the temples of the Holy Spirit, we are not our own but have been bought with a price, therefore we are to glorify God in our bodies and spirits which are His.
2. Psalm 100:3
declares, "Know ye not that the Lord, He is God, it is He that hath made us, and not we ourselves, we are His people and the sheep of His pasture."
3. In Romans 14
, Paul said, "For none of us live unto himself, or dies unto himself, for whether we live or die, we are His."
B. The Father has entrusted us into the care and keeping power of the Son. "You have given them to Me."
"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?[shall] tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any [man] pluck them out of my hand.
My Father, which gave [them] me, is greater than all; and no [man] is able to pluck [them] out of my Father's hand.
C. And they have kept Thy word.
1. The faithful church of Philadelphia was commended by Jesus because they had kept the word of His patience.
2. James said, "Be doers of the Word, and not hearers only."
3. John 14:21
: "He that hath My commandments and keepth them, He it is that loveth Me, and He that loveth Me shall be loved of My Father, and will love Him and manifest Myself unto Him."
4. John 14:24
: "If a man loveth Me he will keep My word."