"THE TRUE AND FAITHFUL WORD"
I. GOD'S AFFIRMATION OF THE TRUTH OF HIS PROMISES.
A. As we move into the heavenly scene in the last four chapters, the things are so awesome, that three times God thought it necessary to affirm the truth of the sayings.
And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed [are] they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.
And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.
And he said unto me, These sayings [are] faithful and true: and the Lord God of the holy prophets sent his angel to shew unto his servants the things which must shortly be done.
B. Heaven is so far and above everything that we could possibly imagine or dream, that is sounds like the most beautiful of all fairy tales.
1. We shall live happily ever after in the city of our King.
2. Here in chapter 21 John describes to us the city of God, the new Jerusalem.
a. Walls of precious gems.
b. Gates of pearls.
c. Streets of gold.
d. Splendor and glory that defy the imagination.
3. No wonder that God felt it necessary to affirm the truth of these things.
4. The evangelist Gypsy Smith wrote a song entitled "Let Me Dream On." "The world says I'm dreaming, but I know it is Jesus, who saved me from darkness and sin's guilt and shame, He is my lover, my Saviour and Master, I'll love Him forever and praise His dear name, "Let me dream on, if I am dreaming, Let me dream on, my sins are gone. Night turns to dawn, loves light is beaming, So if I'm dreaming, let me dream on."
5. If this is just a dream, please don't wake me up.
C. There are other places where God affirms the truth of His word.
1. In Ezekiel chapter 36 where he told of his restoration of the land of Israel, God said to the mountains.
a. You will shoot forth your branches and yield your fruit to My people when they return.
b. You will be tilled and sown.
c. The land that was desolate has become like the Garden of Eden.
d. "I the Lord have spoken it, and I will do it."
e. He has done it. This is no longer prophecy, but a reality.
2. When Daniel interpreted the dream of Nebuchadnezzer concerning the world governing empires, he informed the king that the image of different metals that he saw in his dream represented the kingdoms that would rule over the earth. Beginning with the Babylonian empire, the power would shift to the Medo-Persian, empire, which would be conquered by the Grecian Empire, which in turn would fall to the Roman Empire. The final phase of the Roman empire will be a federation of the nations that would pool their resources and power. During the time of this European federation of nations the Son of God would come and establish an eternal kingdom. Daniel closed the interpretation by declaring, "The dream is certain, and the interpretation is sure."
3. In prophesying of the last days, Jesus said,
Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
II. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN TO US?
A. In the book of Hebrews we are warned,
Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let [them] slip.
For if the word spoken by angels was steadfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recommence of reward;
How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard [him];
B. These things indeed are true, they have proved to be true up to the minute. Solomon prayed,
Blessed [be] the LORD, that hath given rest unto his people Israel, according to all that he promised: there hath not failed one word of all his good promise, which he promised by the hand of Moses his servant.
C. There is a heaven to gain and a hell to shun.
1. You will spend all of eternity in one or the other.
2. You may object by declaring that you do not believe in heaven or hell.
a. Your believing or not believing does not alter the fact one iota.
b. I may declare that I do not believe in mathematics. I do not believe that two plus two equals four. Does that prove then that two plus two no longer equals four? No, it only proves that I am a fool.
D. Consider this. Look at all of the prophecies that have been fulfilled already. So far the scriptures are batting 1000 percent. As Solomon confessed there has not failed one word, which He has promised. As you look around at the world today, the events that are transpiring have all been foretold as events of the last days.
1. Israel is back in the land as God promised they would be.
2. Europe has combined their powers into a United States of Europe.
3. They are talking about abolishing money, in favor of a personal identity card or mark.
4. Man has the capacity to destroy all of mankind.
5. Evil days are waxing worse and worse.
6. The iniquity in the earth is abounding.
7. I could go on and on.
8. If you consider the compound probabilities of these hundreds of predictions coming to pass, you would find that the chance factors are staggering.
9. You can also reverse the equation. If there has been 100% accuracy up to this point, then the chances are reversed, that means that the chances that the remaining few prophecies will not be fulfilled are just as staggering.
10. Would you want to wager your life's savings, all that you have on a bet where your chance of winning is something like 1 in 10 to the 1000th power? You are wagering your eternal life on such odds. Think about it.
III. WHAT ARE THE WORDS THAT GOD IS AFFIRMING TO BE TRUE AND FAITHFUL?
And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.
But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.