"THE MEN GOD USES"
Intro: It is in the heart of every true child of God to be used by God.
I. MEN OF PRAYER VS 1 AND 4:24.
A. Prayer is so vital for any work for God.
1. I am guided.
2. I am strengthened.
3. I dare not venture into any work for God without praying first.
B. Prayer is my greatest outlet of spiritual power.
1. I have one source. "You shall receive."
2. There are several outlets.
a. Your life.
b. Your words.
c. Your service.
d. Your money.
II. MEN OF FAITH, VS. 7.
A. That act of lifting the man up was an act of faith.
1. I am not advocating that you go around and start lifting people out of wheelchairs.
B. Peter, when he explained the miracle, said it was accomplished through faith in the name of Jesus.
1. Then lest they should try to honor him as a great man of faith he said it is through the faith which is by Him.
III. MEN WHO HAD COME TO THE CROSS IN THEIR OWN LIVES, VS. 12.
A. They had died to their old desires for glory or fame. Galatians 2:20
1. They now sought to bring glory to their Lord.
2. "God forbid that I should boast..."
B. There is a constant danger to the person God uses, men will seek to exalt them.
1. The people gathered around Peter and John.
a. Why look at us? Look at Jesus.
2. The people at Lystra ready to offer sacrifices to Paul and Barnabas.
C. You must not receive this praise or glory.
1. Direct them away from you to Jesus.
a. God has glorified His Son Jesus.
b. It is through Him.
IV. MEN OF THE WORD, VS. 22.
A. Peter begins to quote the scriptures to them.
B. The Word of God is so vital to our lives.
1. Through the Word I know Him.
a. Through knowing Him I have faith in Him.
b. Through knowing Him I come to the cross.
c. Through knowing Him I am motivated to pray.
2. Through His Word I am guided.
a. The rudder to keep me on a straight course.
b. A lamp to my feet, a light to my path.
V. MEN FILLED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT, 4:8.
A. He is the source of power in our lives.
1. He gives us the boldness.
2. He gives us the ability to do the works of God.
3. He guides us to the area and the type of ministry.
THE MAN GOD USES
Intro: Realizing that I have only one life, and that it will soon be past, I want my life to count for something eternal. I want God to use my life.
I. HE IS A MAN (HOMO SAPIENS).
A. We are prone to look at apostles & prophets as some kind of super humans.
1. "Elijah was a man of like passions."
2. They had their fears.
a. Peter's denial.
b. Elijah's flight from Jezebel.
3. They had their doubts.
4. They had a problem with self and sin.
B. God chooses men just like you.
1. He has a special ministry for each one.
2. None of us are un-usable.
II. HE IS A MAN OF THE WORD.
A. Notice Peter's vast knowledge of the scriptures.
1. His sermon in chapter two.
B. He has confidence in the scripture.
1. "The scripture must be fulfilled."
C. Believed scripture divinely inspired.
1. "Which the Holy Ghost spake by the mouth of His servant David"
III. HE IS A MAN OF PRAYER.
A. He has learned to rely on God for all his decisions.
B. Prayer is our communication link with God.
1. Here is where we receive our orders.
2. God cannot afford to have a man on the field representing Him who is only in rare communication with Him.
IV. HE IS A MAN OF FAITH.
A. This is a result of the first two.
1. Show me a man who studies the Word and prays, and I will show you a man of faith.
2. Through the Word the purposes of God are revealed.
3. Through prayer they are expressed and consented to.
4. Through faith they are enacted.
V. HE IS A DEAD MAN VS. 12.
A. No desire for self glory.
1. Desires to bring glory to His Lord.
2. The servant is never greater than his Lord.
VI. HE IS FILLED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT.
A. This is the secret of power in His life. 1:8
B. This is the reason for all the others.